Sunday 19 February 2012

Chefs Gallery - Lunch - Townhall - Sydney,Australia

Chefs Gallery- Take Two
 

 
This is my second post on Chefs Gallery but this time we were here for lunch not dinner. A new menu has been introduced recently and I knew we had to come here to try. The menu is much more elaborate with many more options and photographs to match. It makes me want to order everything as it looks way too appealing to the eyes.

Arriving a bit just after 12pm, normal seating was fully booked out and the only option available was gallery seating. I didn't mind as I've always wanted to see what the chefs were making. The only negative was the sunlight that was coming through the window which made it rather warm.


'Jasmine Tea ($1.90/pp)' is a must have drink at a Chinese restaurant. It helps wash down that after greasy taste left by the foods. Not only that, it is also refreshing and soothing. Here is it served extra hot and perfect with the food that is to come.


The 'Traditional Dan Dan Noodles with Pork Ribs ($13.90)' arrives first and I can smell the peanut fragrance. The handmade noodles and springy and al-dente. The broth is rich and spicy combined with finely minced prawns and peanuts giving it that nutty taste. The pork chops is a great addition and we finish this in no time.
 

'Prawn and Pork Wontons in a Spicy Sauce ($7.90)' is a must order. The wontons are full of flavour and the sauce is addictive. It's very similar to the one at Din Tai Fung but I prefer the one here. I ordered this last time around but I just had to order it again.


The last time we were here, plain roti wasn't available. This time around, the revised menu had 'Fluffy Plain Chinese Roti ($5.90)' which was very light and airy. I much prefer this over the roti's with filling.
 


The 'Pan Fried Daikon Radish Cakes ($5.90)' was a disappointment. Mum makes this regularly at home and I find that shredding the daikon makes a big difference to the taste of it. The Daikon has been cut into chunky bits and combined into the flour. The cake hasn't been fried enough and I find it soft. This is left to the side as I find it bland.

 
The greeeeennnn pandan sauce. How could one resist? The 'Mini Bread Rolls Fried ($4.90)' is basically mantou buns deep fried in oil and served with a creamy pandan sauce. I love fried things and anything pandan. So this is a winner for me. Condensed milk is no longer served with this dish but I'm sure you can ask for it.


I don't remember ordering 'Mixed Seafood and Tako Fritters ($8.90)' before as the picture in the menu looks different to what I had before (Seafood Rolls with Wasabi Sauce) so I order it again. Oops. The waiter takes it out and it looks and tastes like what I had last time. One word -very oily.
 

To finish off our meal, we end up with 'Silken Tofu with Ginger Tea and Goji Berry Served Hot ($5.90)'. The portion size is large and is suitable for two. I have to say that the tofu is one of the best I have eaten. It's very silky and smooth and not too soft. The ginger tea doesn't taste like tea at all but rather the usual ginger sauce you see on these desserts. The goji berry is just for decoration and has no flavour impact.
 
We find ourselves over eating and over ordering once again. An enjoyable meal.

Where?
Shop 12, Ground Level Regent Place Shopping Centre
501 George St
Sydney NSW 2000
Australia

Phone no: 02 9267 8877

Opening Hours
Lunch
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
Dinner 
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm

Website

Chefs Gallery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment