Saturday 17 August 2013

Ramsgate Organic Foodies Market - Ramsgate - Sydney, Australia.

Ramsgate Organic Foodies Market



The cronut has sparked interest within the foodie world. The developer, Dominique Ansel from Dominique Ansel Bakery located in New York City started this craze and people continue to go to try the original cronut at his store, queuing for hours at times.  The cronut is a pastry and is said to be a cross between the donut and croissant. I don't have the time to fly all the way over to New York to try his cronut so I have to make do with what's available back here in Sydney.

I then 'Googled' the words 'Cronut Sydney' and then stumbled upon a forum that was discussing cronuts and where they are sold in Sydney. Then I saw the word 'Ramsgate' and there was an organic foodies market that was selling the cronut. Woohoo!  Not only did I discover that there was a food market close by but they were also selling cronuts! Hitting two birds with one stone. There is just something about food markets that makes me exited. I don't know if it's the crowds, fresh produce on offer or the smell of coffee and bacon and egg rolls that draws my attention.




 












Ramsgate Organic Foodies Market is located within Ramsgate Public School. It is open every Saturday from 8am to 1pm and is easy to get to if you live in the South of Sydney. They pride themselves on selling certified organically grown vegetables and fruit. The market had more stores than what I imagined as I was thinking there would only be a few. Market stalls include but is not limited to fresh flowers, fruits, vegetables, olives, bread, coffee and tea, milk and dairy products, meats, dry goods, cakes and desserts, chocolates, cheese, skincare products, clothing, jeweller and assorted cooked foods.

 
 

I was on the look out for the cronut and much to my dismay I couldn't see it until I reached one of the last stalls and I was so happy to see it! I didn't know what to expect considering I've never tried it before so my expectations weren't that high. I've only seen pictures and they look pretty darn good.



The stall had a variety of cronuts on offer from the original cronut to different flavoured cronuts including custard, apple custard, nuts and cherry custard.


They also sell macarons which appeared to be popular with the locals.





The verdict. Light and crispy pastry minus the oily, buttery and heavy flour aftertaste that one would experience from eating a donut. Really liked the smooth custard cream in the cronut and can't wait for them to introduce more new flavours. Really liked the cronut base and preferred the custard cream over the nuts and icing as I found that a bit too sweet. I got the mini cronut at $2.80 each.



Toby's Estate coffee is sold here and I must say it has got to be one of my favourite coffee brands. They make really good and strong coffee. $3.00 for a regular and $4.00 for a large.

 





The Turkish Gozleme is made fresh to order by the lovely family run couple and relatives/friends. I have the 'Mixed ($10.00)' containing cheese, spinach and mince meat, cooked over a BBQ hot plate. It's crunchy, flavoursome and bursting with juices. Oh so delicious!




I've read that they make a mean bacon and egg roll. That will be on my next visit.


If you're after quality and fresh produce or just want to try out the cronut, then this is the place for you.

Where?
Ramsgate Public School
Corner of Chuter Ave & Hawthorne St
Ramsgate NSW 2217'
Australia

Phone no: 0406 343 782

Opening Hours
Every Saturday
8:00am - 1:00pm

Website
http://www.organicfoodiesmarket.com.au/

2 comments:

  1. Love this market. And they must be the cheapest cronuts in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New found treasure :) Cheap but good as well.

    ReplyDelete